Thursday, February 23, 2012

COUNTDOWN TO GREATNESS


813 - Splinters of Violent Glasses

***





Walt Whitman manuscript page from The Sleepers


Crash
Topple down upon her Curse [illegible] Light!! for ^you seem to me^ I am all one lurid Curse Oath curse
I look down off the river with my bloodshot eyes, after
I am the steamboat that carries off away my woman.
Damn him! how he does defile me
^This day or some other^ I will have him lie at peace and the like of him to ^do my will upon;^ curse [illegible]
They shall not hide themselves even in their [?] graves tombs with pennies on their eyes
I will break the lids off their coffins but what
will ^would^ I will have then [?]
I will tear their flesh out from under the
grave-clothes
I will not listen—I will not spare—I will
am justified of myself:
The I will pursue For a million hundred years ^I will pursue^ those who
have injured me so much:
Though they cover hide themselves with under the lappets
of God I will drag [?] them there [?] pursue them there.
I will stop drag them out—the the sweet marches of heaven ^shall be stop[ped]^ and not [?]
my maledictions.—




Ray Bradbury replying to reader's letter



Ralph Ellison replying to reader's letter



postcard from Roberto Bolano to Enrique Lihn, 1983



Lev Tolstoy’s notes from the ninth draft of War and Peace, 1864






Lewis Carroll’s original manuscript for Alice’s Adventures Under Ground, 1862



Jorge Luis Borges' notebook



Dense with ink, a spider web of crossings-out, rewritings and even text-speak, the manuscript of Charles Dickens’s much-loved novel Great Expectations – which has been published in facsimile for the first time – offers a unique insight into the mind of the great novelist.

Dickens bound and gave his manuscript of Great Expectations to his friend Chauncy Hare Townshend, who bequeathed it to the Wisbech and Fenland Museum in 1868. Fragile and in its original binding, the 1861 manuscript has been at the museum ever since, available to view on the first Saturday of every month but otherwise kept in a safe. Now the museum has worked with Cambridge University Press to scan and reproduce the manuscript in book format for the first time.

It shows Dickens’s terrible handwriting, how his lines sloped down to the right and how he would squeeze a few extra words into the space this left at the bottom of a page, and his notes on the times of the tides, crucial to Magwitch’s capture at the end of the book.

Ink-splodged and messy, the manuscript shows how Dickens was constantly returning to his text to cross out and alter sentences, also including occasional instructions to his typesetter. The novel’s first line – “My father’s family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip” – was subject to a host of revisions, with “infant” clearly a replacement for another word, possibly childish.

Later, the last page of the manuscript reveals part of Dickens’s original ending to the novel, in four lines crossed out by the author. Dickens was told to change his sad ending, in which Pip and Estella part forever, by his friend and fellow novelist Edward Bulwer-Lytton.



Franz Kafka’s signature in a letter to Milena Jesenská. It reads:

Franz wrong, F wrong, Yours wrong/ nothing more calm, deep forest.

Prague, July 29, 1920.



notes by Fernando Pessoa (name crossed out)



Emily Dickinson manuscript for Wild Nights



Denis Johnson notes for The Name of the World, written on a paper plate



David Foster Wallace's notebook



“Nabokov wrote most his novels on 3” x 5” notecards, keeping blank cards under his pillow for whenever inspiration struck. Seen here: a draft of Lolita.”

***



I watched Drive last night and now this song is permanently stuck in my head--I keep humming it to myself as I drive through the city in my scorpion jacket and black leather gloves, quietly chewing a toothpick and staring really intensely at everyone around me


Kavinsky - Nightcall


Photobucket


***

one of the best Lil B songs, I keep this song in my heart
Lil B - I Am a Bird Now



***



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
www.e-referrer.com