Monday, April 9, 2012

Baby Mikaela Updates and DIY

Hello friends.
It feels like its been forever and a day. 
Only 6 days left to Baby Mikaela Ogechi Ewurum's entry into our world. We're all very excited here at home. Her siblings speak non-stop about her. My younger kids are sorting out their clothes to share and are worried about the doctor cutting my tummy open, removing the intestines and everything to get to the baby and putting it all back (where do they hear these things) and big brother asked me first thing today if it hurts when they scrub the vernix (white sticky stuff) off the baby. So clearly she's on their minds. 

I'm especially excited because I can't wait to play dress up with my own creations. I just recently bought a sewing machine (about a month now). I've been feeling quite nostalgic lately and been missing my gran who's favourite things in the world was sewing. You'd only find her outside of her sewing station if she had church or something equally mandatory to do. Anyway, I got one, made a couple of blankets for the kids to start myself off and a comforter and very snugly baby blanket for Mikaela. It took me all of two hours to teach myself to thread the thing by the way and I'm still learning about thread tension which I only become aware of when the cotton breaks...Urggh. 

This is the before when I
started sanding things off.
I'll be showing off my little collection on a Watch Me Sew post soon. 

One of the things I really wanted to let you know about is my other DIY activity I've been on lately. We recently started visiting an animal shelter and it has a bookshop and a charity shop. So on a good day when we went to drop off some stuff as we were moving to a new place month end, I'm not sure why but I left with this tea trolley on the right. I suspect I thought I could splash a coat of paint on and use it for something (perhaps carting my books about). I hate the colour it was.
AFTER: A place in the bathroom.

So we moved into the new place soon after the restoration job on the first of the month. One of my pet peeves of the new place besides it being carpeted throughout are the cabinetless bathrooms. Especially  mine.The medicine cabinet is probably the height of a ruler and the width smaller (possibly). So what's a soon to be on a diaper budget to do other than improvise temporarily. 

Come the move, my tea trolley found its place after a  good rub down with sanding paper and several coats of paint. What do you think?
By the way if you're in South Africa visit your nearest SPCA. They really could do with whatever you have to give or buy to feed those poor abandoned animals. My kids love going there, if not for the allergies I'd let them volunteer.

In a nutshell that is my last couple of weeks. I know I said I'd be on holiday for this blog for a long while but there's so much going there that I want to share. So sorry.

Off to my sewing station I go. I cut out the pattern and material for my first baby bunting last night. I'm interested in seeing how that pans out. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
www.e-referrer.com