Wednesday, January 26, 2011

NEVER AGAIN LEAVE ME TO BE THE PEACEFUL CHILD I WAS BEFORE WHAT THERE IN THE NIGHT, / BY THE SEA UNDER THE YELLOW AND SAGGING MOON

OUT OF THE CRADLE, ENDLESSLY ROCKING (excerpt)
by Walt Whitman

Demon or bird! (said the boy's soul,)
Is it indeed toward your mate you sing? or is it really to me?
For I, that was a child, my tongue's use sleeping, now I have heard you,
Now in a moment I know what I am for, I awake,
And already a thousand singers, a thousand songs, clearer, louder and more sorrowful than yours,
A thousand warbling echoes have started to life within me, never to die.

O you singer solitary, singing by yourself, projecting me,
O solitary me listening, never more shall I cease perpetuating you,
Never more shall I escape the reverberations,
Never more shall the cries of unsatisfied love be absent from me,
Never again leave me to be the peaceful child I was before what there in the night,
By the sea under the yellow and sagging moon,
The messenger there arous'd, the fire, the sweet hell within,
The unknown want, the destiny of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
www.e-referrer.com