Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Thoughts On Village Life & Scenic Scenes


So this weekend was spent doing lots and lots of cobweb tugging, ceiling brushing and wall and floor sweeping. Just some of those back breaking chores to take into account before unpacking in a new home...... how I wish builders would clean up after themselves. I only managed the upstairs section and only the main bits downstairs...those with no doors like the reception area....LOL. What you can't see can't hurt you.
View from one of the balconies upstairs.
Thereafter I did a bit of unpacking, everything is kinda all over the place right now so i'll post some pics on my next visit only but it felt soooooo good to touch familiar objects_like my dining room set, dishes and appliances, my very own bed....oh it all felt wonderful but most important of all was getting the food stuff from SA......I'm in dietary heaven.
I was quite sad when we had to go yesterday because i think I really would enjoy life in the East of Nigeria, if I could get rid of all the nosy villager neighbors that is. Good god there is no end to  their visits.


Overall I quite like my new home in the village with its beautiful, scenic forests and this really surprised me (check view on the right). I'm actually even more surprised by how much I dislike the "city life" in Abuja. I think the trip to Imo State just solidified this in my mind.

We even have our own digging happening
in our yard. Only the body corporate knows
for what. Its been over six weeks.
Compare the top scene to this picture from my front door of our rented place in Abuja. There's just no contest. I find Abuja incredibly hot and yes there's construction all over Nigeria but in the cities its just worse.  And no one cares about how they build and how it affects the environment. Its a case of just build and the leave to neglect (i'll chat later about this bit). The villages have a lot of constriction's going on too but i think the difference is that not everyone is doing it on top of each other. Right now as you can see here in Abuja, there are two houses being built in front of me and many others at the back. And then tomorrow the empty spot may also start with digging. I don't even think you need building plans approved except for getting a licence if it will be a business premises as we just recently did. I've heard nothing so far about us having to submit plans for what the business will be and how it will be built.

We made a road trip of our journey back to the city yesterday and again I was really struck by how beautiful the country side is. all rivers, dams, swamps and dense forests. If you can get over the gigantic potholes that is, although I believe the route we took through Enugu is in much better condition that the one usually taken.

One of the things we came across which had huge impact on me was a plant we saw in a lovely setting and then my husband delivered that bad news. This steel plant, something that must have cost billions of dollars to build was abandoned. No operations going on, on a site that's the size of a small city. And as we got closer, I saw the abandoned tankers and trucks and so forth with  no signs of life. Why? Apparently no one seems to bother with maintenance once something is built here.

Which brings me to the big issue. I have recently been very impressed with the calibre of education at the schools here (I only speak from the private school perspective since we placed our kids). But with all this academic acumen, no one in Nigeria's government seems to have bothered to learn how to run a country.

Why? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
www.e-referrer.com