Wednesday, March 23, 2011

THE PORTRAIT OF A LADY



Isabel Archer, a young, free-spirited American woman puts off marriage to travel and see the world, until she finally comes under the spell of an “eminently cultured” aristocrat named Osmond, who marries her and quickly becomes a tyrant, stealing her inheritance and stripping her of all independence.


"But it's getting very dark," Isabel continued, "and I must go home." She rose from her place, but Ralph only sat still and looked at her. As he remained there she stopped, and they exchanged a gaze that was full on either side, but especially on Ralph's, of utterances too vague for words.

"You've answered my question," he said at last. "You've told me what I wanted. I'm greatly obliged to you."

"It seems to me I've told you very little."

"You've told me the great thing: that the world interests you and that you want to throw yourself into it."

Her silvery eyes shone a moment in the dusk. "I never said that."

"I think you meant it. Don't repudiate it. It's so fine!"














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
www.e-referrer.com