Sunday, November 27, 2011

How To Not Suck At Blogging

Have you ever wondered why it is that some bloggers seem to do just about everything right and have hundreds of followers who comment, including you? Well I’m not one of those bloggers and I’ve been examining my blogs posts to see why. After reading some great blogging advise from bloggers such as Blogpreneur and Frank Dickinson, I noticed the following misdemeanours on my posts which I highly recommend that you DO NOT FOLLOW so as not to be a sucky blogger:

Do not over promise and under deliver.
This is my conscious speaking. On my book review blog: Fabulosity Reads, I’ve changed my blogging schedule 3 times in the six months of its existence. I get all these plans and aspirations only for life to get in the way at the most inappropriate times and my blog ergo my readers suffer. I’m sure you’ll agree that’s one good reason to bite dust on that that blog visit. I wanted to change my one week old schedule on this blog as well to overpromise but resisted the urge.

Do not by any means try to replicate the Bible every time you write a post. 
You need a year to go through the Bible apparently and your readers most probably only have one minute to spend scanning for something interesting and then off they fly to more punchy, witty corners of the blogosphere. Somebody please sell punch and wit in a bottle, I’m drowning in my own wordy posts.

Do not by any means allow life to get in the way of your blogging frequently. (that doesn't make writing sense but it covers what i want to say)
Otherwise that gest interpreted as you not taking your blog seriously. Blog friends are the best kind of friends, they don’t care that when you are blogging you just woke up in your moth eaten t-shirt with stinky morning breath and zits breaking out all over.  Or even that you needed to take Prozac just to barely manage to write that post. You deliver good posts on time, everytime and they’ll think you’re hotter than Scarlett Johansson or Roland Yeoman’s Meagan Fox for that matter. Personally I prefer Catherine Zeta Jones.

And for the love of all that is holy do not try to sound intelligent.
There are so many posts I shared that I wish I could do all over again. I was supposed to focus on finding my voice, NOT CREATING ONE.  You just end up sounding like you're trying to hard. At least that's what I hear when I read my posts.

And last, those comments.....they mean everything
So comment, comment, comment on other people’s blogs. I recently started this again by putting 10 at a time from  my blog list on my home page (with that gadget that updates as your blogfriends post)  and actually making one at least one visiting  round every day instead of being obsessed with my own going no where blogs and hoping someone will come by. And wonders never seize (cliche) because they actually visit back and comment. 
*********
I hope somebody out there will learn something out of my obvious flops and avoid these routes better left untraveled...Oh and avoid/ minimise/ skim down on clichés....am I ever gonna bother to write again?

So do you have any more to add to these and even one better: can you tell me how to be punchy and witty to get rid of my wall texting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
www.e-referrer.com